Dumbassery of the Day: 19 States Threatening to Secede From The United States of America Over Election Results
In the aftermath of last week’s presidential election, residents in at least nineteen states have put up petitions on the government’s “We the People” petitioning website seeking the right to secede from the rest of the country.
While the petitions themselves may not be significant, the reaction could be.
Petitions for secession filed from Louisiana and Texas have already received well over 10,000 signatures. Per the website’s own rules, petitions that garner 25,000 signatures or more within 30 days require a response from the Obama administration.
Other states in which residents have expressed an interest in going their own way include Kentucky, Montana, North Dakota, Mississippi, North Carolina, Florida, Georgia, New York, New Jersey, Colorado, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Missouri.
As unilateral secession was ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court, it remains to be seen if this movement is more than a toothless temper tantrum thrown by armchair revolutionaries.
[H/T: MSN Now, photo via AP]
- lazyducklings reblogged this from politicsplus
- deeplysuperficialperson likes this
- lanigan reblogged this from beardbot and added:
- viciousneutral likes this
- section9 likes this
- beardbot reblogged this from think4yourself and added:
- beardbot likes this
- think4yourself reblogged this from politicsplus
- think4yourself likes this
- moojeanlovesyou reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- hidinginthesleevesofmycoat likes this
- hcshannon said:Who else thought of MST3K, when they saw that photo?
- candyven0m reblogged this from metaldragon27
- wateringgoodseeds said:The real question is, should those of us in blue states sign those petitions?
- grandzeit reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow and added:
- politicsplus reblogged this from thepoliticalfreakshow
- politicsplus likes this
- emmathompson0 likes this
- the99strikesback likes this
- thepoliticalfreakshow posted this